Current and Alumni sisters gather at our 75th Anniversary on November 3rd, 2014
Our chapter was founded in 1930 as a local sorority, Gamma Sigma, with the goal of to "Promote good character, citizenship, and scholarship." They soon felt the desire to join their chapter with a large organization, petitioning Zeta Tau Alpha for membership. After a visit from the Grand President of ZTA, Louis Kettler Helper in October of 1937, the chapter received word the following spring that their petition to join ZTA had been accepted! On April 2nd, 1938 the 22 members of Gamma Sigma were formally pledged into ZTA in the groups chapter room. The ritual was conducted by Dorothy Logmire Warlick (Zeta Chapter) assisted by Dorothy Rock (Beta Alpha Chapter) and several Zetas from Washington DC. After the ceremony, the newly pleged sisters received their carpenter square pins, the sisters wrote "The feeling of becoming something bigger and finer swelled in the hearts of all the pledges."
On April 30, Gamma Beta became the first Zeta Tau Alpha chapter in the state of Maryland, and the 75th Link in the chain of chapters. With help from Dorothy Warlick and Dorothy Rock, Mrs. Helper returned to install the chapter. The collegiate members initiated were: Elsie Wharton (Kehler), Anne Cameron, Dorothy McKenzie (Lang), Margaret Heinmueller, Elizabeth Baldwin (Booth), Elizabeth Whitworth, Bernice Smith (Dobson), Charlotte Shaull (Blevins), Dorothy Leonard, Charlotte Russell (McCalley), Jean Wheatley. The alumnae initiates included: Catherine Kirwan, Estelle Wesley, Emily Jewell, Carolyn Jewell, Margaret Crawford and Margaret Saulsbury. The well wishes from Zetas across the country “gave them a sense of belonging to something bigger than the ever dreamed of, and of entering an entirely new and beautiful world.”